Strånsjöbäcken or Vålsjöbäcken, as it is also called, throws 48 meters down the mountain side in Vålsjö in Hälsingland’s fall. The case has been used for many water-driven works. At the turn of the year 1799, the map shows six different plants called “saw and sqvaltekvarnar”. “The farmer at Kålsjö No. 5 Erik Andersson, bought 1851 half of the waterfall’s work, scallop, fencing, wadding stamp, other buildings and land at Vålsjöbäcken. Together with the other partner Andersson was granted permission to build a customs milking mill that was completed in 1858. The mill initially had two pairs of rocks. The mill was first driven by water wheels, which was switched to two smaller turbines while the turbine building was probably built in 1918. When the last miller took over the mill in 1906 a renovation and modernization, the two old turbines replaced a large and the natural stones were exchanged for cast stones. An extension to the east containing the tops and saw houses, came sometime in the beginning of the 20th century. Otherwise, the changes in the building only consisted of that broken windows are replaced with old reuse and a sheet roof has been laid over the old sp åntaket.
Simultaneously with the turbines, a generator was also installed in the mill, and Elström was not only able to meet its own needs but could also supply electricity to six farms in the neighborhood. Until the mill shutdown in 1955 electricity production continued. In the top floor there are cuts and drops for different paintings. In the middle floor there are millstones, a crush for oats and a tailor-made machine. At the bottom of the floor there are emissions from the mill in the floor above. All machinery is retained and the mill is fully operational if the turbine can be reinstalled. In the case above the mill building there is a forge built in the 1920s. Smedjan is externally well-preserved and also contains a large part of the original equipment.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *